Potential Samsung OS substitutes

Discussion about the Samsung Nucleus OS of the Jet phone

Re: Potential Samsung OS substitutes

Postby Dopi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 am

In my opinion the problem of other OSes always comes down to availability of the sources or the ability to compile a new driver.

Unfortunately just the same CPU in a Winmo or IOS phone does not mean all other components of the system are the same. There could be a whole lot of other differences like other sound chips, different charger ICs, different power management IC that require changed drivers. Thus a 1 to 1 port might be possible in some rare cases ( e.g. for some HTC phones ) but for the jet I don't really see this.

However, the same CPU helps on parts beyond the kernel and drivers. If there is an Android phone with the same CPU as the jet we can surely benefit from this phones system binaries. The same thing should work for other OSes, too.

So, back to the original question. Possible other OS options should be symbian (sources should be available), Meego (also open source) and maybe even Bada (not open source but i recently learned that it is also based on a linux kernel). That's what I currently see, there will surely be more ...

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Postby HenriA » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Then we get brew, that is only used on the HTC SMART afaik. But it is allso linux based. Maybe a full linux distro will work aswel, with the right apps to use the BB?
The jet will take-off to meet the android people! :)
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby thom_anderson » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:24 am

Maybe not concerned with this topic,
But I found a hardware reference guide for the processor that is employed in Jet.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... TkbYadDxKg

It structured very similar to Jet, and now I am also looking into Android phones that have the same processors, so you could look into the binaries
Everyday we try to make Samsung Jet and JetDroid better!
thom_anderson
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby thom_anderson » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:28 am

http://www.androidinius.com/2009/10/22/ ... ing-video/

The phone that runs Android, and Samsung, and of the same processor, is Samsung Moment, originally announced for Sprint. Although it is CDMA phone, it should be useful somehow?

Am I right? ;)
thom_anderson
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby thom_anderson » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 pm

So there are two phones originally with very first Android 1.5, but were upgraded to 2.1, and both are from Sprint.

Samsung Moment (A working Android 2.2 (Froyo) kernel and multiple ROMs have successfully been ported to the Moment via a collaborative effort at SDX Developers). - citing Wikipedia

and

Samsung Intercept

- both use the same processor as our Jet. What can we do to benefit from them?

:?:
thom_anderson
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby thom_anderson » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:18 pm

<thom_anderson> Are any of the kernels for the Samsung phones based on Samsung s3c6410 CPU of any use for the Jetdroid (Samsung Jet + Android project)?
[17:58] <ColonelKernal> refresh my memory, I'd seen jetdroid before, isn't it a samdroid/spica kind of thing?
[18:00] <thom_anderson> It is S8000 and S8003 phones, with native Samsung OS -preinstalled
[18:01] <thom_anderson> It is not related to samdroid or spica thing
[18:03] <ColonelKernal> just browsing jetdroid.org, looks like you guys are able to pull some things from the source, but a full kernel of ours wouldn't work too well
[18:06] <ColonelKernal> my advice would be to send a pm on sdx-developers.com to mrwrx with the specifics, since he ported a 2.6.32 kernel to an unsupported s3c6410

[/size][/size][18:08] <thom_anderson> Thanks a lot - I will pass it on. The team leader "Dopi" stated that it might be useful to look at system binaries in the phones that use s3c6410 --- what would that mean? I am only a tester not a developer.
[18:09] <ColonelKernal> that'd be samsungs proprietary files, no source available, so he's right, for those it's best to find the most compatible ones you can from a similar phone

Recently, talked to guys on sdx-developers via irc-channel, they gave name on whom to contact for some advice, in my conversation it is in bold.

What do you say, guys? Shall we ask some questions? Although I am not sure, if that helps us. :)
thom_anderson
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dopi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 pm

thom_anderson wrote:Recently, talked to guys on sdx-developers via irc-channel, they gave name on whom to contact for some advice, in my conversation it is in bold.

What do you say, guys? Shall we ask some questions? Although I am not sure, if that helps us. :)

I think it is good to have the contacts. However, currently we face some issues that I wont expect to be present on other (similar) phones like our PMU/charger/audio-amp (max8906) and our audio codec (max9880). I am not short of questions but none I think could to be answered by those guys at the sdx forum ...

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Previous

Return to Samsung OS