Build environment poll

Instructions how to set up the devlopment environment and take part in the JetDroid development

Moderator: JetDroid Dev Team

Did you install the build environment?

Yes, I installed the complete build environment and am able to build JetQi, JetKernel and JetPlatform
62%
Yes, I installed the complete build environment but it did not work
10%
No, the downloads are too big
8%
No, the build environment setup did not work
3%
No, I don't have access to a linux machine
3%
No, I don't care about compiling JetDroid myself
15%

Total votes : 39

Build environment poll

Postby Dopi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:22 am

Hi all,

I would like to start a short survey how many people actually installed the Jetdroid build environment. Please take part in this poll and post your own experience if you tried to install.

Cheers,

Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: Build environment poll

Postby Bonsitm » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 pm

I have set-up the Build Environment according to the Google Code page, and have built JetQi. I'm using that same build on my phone at this time. I do not have the knowledge to build the kernel, and I haven't enough space on my virtual box hard disk (Silly to make a 10GB disk!) to download platform sources.
Bonsitm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dopi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Bonsitm wrote:I have set-up the Build Environment according to the Google Code page, and have built JetQi. I'm using that same build on my phone at this time. I do not have the knowledge to build the kernel, and I haven't enough space on my virtual box hard disk (Silly to make a 10GB disk!) to download platform sources.

Hi Bonsitm,

I have been waiting for comments like yours. I wonder if a smaller build environment (that only includes the compile tools and not the whole android source) would make sense. Without looking into this any further I think it should be possible to create a stripped down repo manifest only for the prebuild compile tools. Is there an need for this? If all people who want to compile kernels are currently happy I don't see a need for this.

Cheers,

Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Bonsitm » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Two environments may have their advantages. For instance:

1) A full environment for compiling JetQi, kernel and platform.
2) A stripped down one for just JetQi, as most may need to do this.

Or, keep the full one and have separate instructions for those wishing to do 2)
Bonsitm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Carlos_Manuel » Sat May 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi!

What is Build environment?

Sorry for this stupid question.... xD
JétDroid ROMs, stuff... http://code.google.com/p/android-for-jet/
My YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlosJacksonHD
Github: manumanfred
XDA-Devs: Carlos_Manuel

Galaxy Nexus:
ROM: My own ROM 'Dreams', (KTU84P) KitKat 4.4.4
Carlos_Manuel
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby MadRocker » Sun May 08, 2011 1:42 am

http://code.google.com/p/jetdroid/
http://code.google.com/p/jetdroid/wiki/ ... nvironment

I have 4 platforms downloaded and sometimes try to build. Updating all 4 is a pain as you have to download 4x the same info or recycle the repo folder and checkout + work with changed files and other issues, not for the faint harted.
JetQi = no JetQi experience so have not touched JetQi.

Keeping track of kernels / platforms and other changes is a huge task and time consuming so it is better for me to stick to 1 or 2 parts and fix it.

I tried to update the specific platform customization as posted but only got so far and it needs a bit more help for eclair etc.
Froyo / Ginger had more success but customization is a time consuming business so stopped there.
Generic builds from clean android works okay on build on s8000 but not really optimized for s8000 so no use going there for me. We can rather O2Droid or other android platforms joint effort and later branch to our own version if needed. CM works well on S8000.

Size too big = yes see the recycle platform files post for multi platform use = 246mb download after recycle for each platform version. Too much hassle once you made a mistake to redo / fix error = recycle post = quick fix.

With O2Droid files it would be much easier for anyone and small tweaks team effort is where I can see we might want to go at this time even for kernel for best end results.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Tranquill64 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Hello Dopi,

I'd like to build my own build....
BUT, as i know NOTHING about building and make conmmand, help would be welcome...

So my answer is : No, but i'd iketo try :) Linux is already installed... But why should i build something new if i know it will have the same problems as those already known ?

Where do i do the changes, for instance, to set up 2.6.3x kernel ? Froyo ? to add a specific -.ko module...
I have not enough knowledge to help with debug...
Is building a JetQI still required? Mine works well....

But, maybe if you go on with a new website or wiki, I can help for a WIKI (already started, thanks to Splouch) or whatever help with

Cheers,
Tranquill64
Tranquill64

Re: Re: Build environment poll

Postby Dopi » Mon May 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Tranquill64 wrote:So my answer is : No, but i'd iketo try :) Linux is already installed... But why should i build something new if i know it will have the same problems as those already known ?

Where do i do the changes, for instance, to set up 2.6.3x kernel ? Froyo ? to add a specific -.ko module...
I have not enough knowledge to help with debug...

Compiling the systen is clearly not required by everyone. We just need to document it in order to enable anyone who is interested to do the build.

Tranquill64 wrote:Is building a JetQI still required? Mine works well....

There is only very little change in JetQi. If you have a working one then everything is okay.

Tranquill64 wrote:But, maybe if you go on with a new website or wiki, I can help for a WIKI (already started, thanks to Splouch) or whatever help with

Help with the wiki is good, too. We will continue this way and may have a new wiki, soon.

Cheers,
Dopi
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Re: Re: Build environment poll

Postby Tranquill64 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:07 pm

hello

Dopi wrote:Compiling the systen is clearly not required by everyone. We just need to document it in order to enable anyone who is interested to do the build.

I'm am interested in compiling the system. Specifically because there are new stuff (drivers, new kernel etc.. ), but no new release!

The documentations should be focussed in the modifications to do to match a classic compilation to our Jet.
I already found this :
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html
but where do i do the modifications to adapt it to the Jet? (drivers?, schematics?, modules? )

I have 3 days off next week-end, if i can get the informations, i will try to make my own build.
(JetFroyo or gingerbeard, and a 3.6.3x kernel )

Cheers,
Tranquill64

Return to Development Howto