JetQi behaviour when charging

Bootloader development related

JetQi behaviour when charging

Postby vaclavpe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:19 am

Hi all,

I experienced one thing with JetDroid. I left the USB cable plugged in and tried following cases:
- when I switch off the phone from JetDroid, charging does not run and I can boot either to JetDroid or to Samsung OS again.
- when I switch off the phone from Samsung OS, charging starts, I see the battery icon. But then I can boot into Samsung OS only.

It means that before switching off the phone, Samsung OS somehow configures FSA9480 and/or PMIC registers to detect USB cable and start charging. AFAIK our kernel doesn't touch MAX8906 registers for charging. So it should be configuration of FSA9480.

Then either jetQi gets to some strange state (and you can boot only Samsung OS) or after USB cable is plugged in, some minimal version of Samsung OS starts.

Or this behaviour is again my personal problem ? :)

Vasek
vaclavpe
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: JetQi behaviour when charging

Postby alfonzobonzo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:54 am

No, its not your personal problem :lol:

ive noticed this also,

Does this mean that the phone is allays in a standby state? if it was properly OFF, then plugging the usb in would not result in a charging animation.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
alfonzobonzo
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Bonsitm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:31 am

I think when the phone 'turns on' in some rudimentary state to charge, it is actually a part of the samsung firmware, and so beyond the point where we can choose to boot JetDroid.
Bonsitm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby alfonzobonzo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:04 pm

mm, yes, that would make sense.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
alfonzobonzo
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Dopi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Bonsitm wrote:I think when the phone 'turns on' in some rudimentary state to charge, it is actually a part of the samsung firmware, and so beyond the point where we can choose to boot JetDroid.

This is also my current understanding of the charging process for a swithed-off phone. You can also notice that before the battery actually is being charged a progress bar appears just like when the Samsung OS is started.

Unfortunately this also means that we don't have a chnace to find charger code inside the bootloader.

Regarding the phone state after shutting down JetDroid ... am not sure if everything is really turned off. We need to test this some more. I can for example imagine that the processor is turned off but the wifi/BT combo is still turned on. I usually boot right back into the Samsung system after testing. Thus I have not seen any strange battery draining.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby John1600 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi poeple

I also noticed that when I just turned OFF Jetdroid and then starts Samsung OS i'm entering in a boot loop. so it makes sense when we are turning OFF Jetdroid there is always something running.

Cheers

John
John1600
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Bonsitm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm

A boot loop when trying to re-enter the Samsung firmware?
Bonsitm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby John1600 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Bonsitm wrote:A boot loop when trying to re-enter the Samsung firmware?

yes I have this from the beginning that jetdroid runned. when I switch from jetdroid to Samsung OS, If i don't remove the battery first, i'm entering in an endless bootloop (loading bar). But without removing the battery if you hit some buttons before to start Samsung OS something it works.

Cheers
John
John1600
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Bonsitm » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 am

Thats strange, I've never experienced that myself. I wonder what causes it.
Bonsitm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dopi » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Bonsitm wrote:Thats strange, I've never experienced that myself. I wonder what causes it.

Me too. I have never had that. John, can you maybe create a short video to show how this looks? Wich kernel/bootloader version are you using?

Cheers,

Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Next

Return to JetQi