JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Kernel development related

JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby MadRocker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Sry can not post in development part of forums.

Has anyone tried using a more up to date kernel like linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6 and what was your results ?

I have zipped the mach-s3c64xx folder from this kernel "91kb", should the kernel guys want to play / mod with it into current 2.6.29 kernel.
It seems to contain lots more fixed driver / modules ect. also for the anw6410 pushed up by Samsung / Simtec.

Info can be found here as well. http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/?a=arm
I have stumbled onto some other post referring to the max8906 chips power management features for other devices / max8999.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:15 am

Advertisement

Re: JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby Dopi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 am

MadRocker wrote:Sry can not post in development part of forums.

I moved this post to the JetKernel section. Now you can post here, too ;)

MadRocker wrote:Has anyone tried using a more up to date kernel like linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6 and what was your results ?

The problem with moving to higher kernel versions is that we loose many Android and Samsung specific changes. Plus it creates much work and that we could also use for getting better driver support in the current kernel.

MadRocker wrote:I have zipped the mach-s3c64xx folder from this kernel "91kb", should the kernel guys want to play / mod with it into current 2.6.29 kernel.
It seems to contain lots more fixed driver / modules ect. also for the anw6410 pushed up by Samsung / Simtec.

Info can be found here as well. http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/?a=arm
I have stumbled onto some other post referring to the max8906 chips power management features for other devices / max8999.

I tried mixing parts of different kernel versions several times. It never ended up in anything usual. There are too many changes in places that you did not think of. Thus I tried to avoid these experiments ;) I think we should consider moving to another kernel version once we have all drivers we need working in the current version.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
User avatar
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby Thijs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Dopi,

I agree that mixing kernels is probably not very efficient. However, for radio (call) and USB support it seems that various parts of our kernel are missing while they are available in e.g. Samdroid.

So, instead of copying Samdroid bit-by-bit to JetDroid kernel, we could choose to make the jump to Samdroid and porting the GPIO tables, video driver and touchscreen to that kernel. Or are there other ways to get in sync fast?

...please note... this is just a brainstorm. Last thing we need now is two or more parallel JetDroid kernels!

Best regards - Thijs
Thijs
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby Dopi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Thijs wrote:I agree that mixing kernels is probably not very efficient. However, for radio (call) and USB support it seems that various parts of our kernel are missing while they are available in e.g. Samdroid.

So, instead of copying Samdroid bit-by-bit to JetDroid kernel, we could choose to make the jump to Samdroid and porting the GPIO tables, video driver and touchscreen to that kernel. Or are there other ways to get in sync fast?

Jetdroid and Samdroid kernels are almost identical. Both are based on the same 2.6.29 kernel base from Samsung. I used M900 kernel as a base for JetDroid but this is almost identical to the I5700 and I6500 kernels. Thus we can easily exchange parts between these kernels and use the same system with little modifications on top of it.

As far as I know leshak who is driving the SamDroid development also did not make a jump to any other kernel version than 2.6.29. It is simply consuming too much time to do this.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
User avatar
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby Thijs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi Dopi,

Just for my understanding.. but why don't we have the dpram.ko modules included by default and why does including of the dpram.ko module give various unresolved symbols on the JetDroid kernel? As dpram.ko is working in Samdroid/i5700 (or isn't it?) why do we run into such an amount of missing kernel modules & 'symbols'?

Best regards - Thijs
Thijs
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby Dopi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Thijs wrote:Just for my understanding.. but why don't we have the dpram.ko modules included by default and why does including of the dpram.ko module give various unresolved symbols on the JetDroid kernel? As dpram.ko is working in Samdroid/i5700 (or isn't it?) why do we run into such an amount of missing kernel modules & 'symbols'?

These modules (or at least some of them) have hardware (GPIO) dependencies that need to be resolved before we can compile the modules for the Jet. Using modules that are from another kernel build (of the same version) can result in unresolved symbols as you see them. If the modules are compiled with our kernel and the right GPIO settings they should work.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
User avatar
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby Thijs » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Dopi,

Thanks for the explanation. I've started to include dpram in the build. Here is the complete list of missing GPIO settings (sorry for the doubles, better safe than sorry):

Code: Select all
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:958: error: 'GPIO_USIM_BOOT' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:959: error: 'GPIO_CP_BOOT_SEL' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1054: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1055: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_RST_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1061: error: 'GPIO_CP_BOOT_SEL' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1062: error: 'GPIO_USIM_BOOT' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1296: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_RST_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1780: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2280: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2491: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2491: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N_AF' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2495: error: 'GPIO_FLM_RXD' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2495: error: 'GPIO_FLM_RXD_AF' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2498: error: 'GPIO_FLM_TXD' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2498: error: 'GPIO_FLM_TXD_AF' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2501: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2508: error: 'GPIO_CP_BOOT_SEL' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2515: error: 'GPIO_USIM_BOOT' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2522: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_RST_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2529: error: 'GPIO_PDA_ACTIVE' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2617: error: 'GPIO_PDA_ACTIVE' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2623: error: 'GPIO_PDA_ACTIVE' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2657: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N' undeclared (first use in this function)


best regards - Thijs
Thijs
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: JetKernel using linux-2.6.36-hardened-r6

Postby Dopi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Thijs wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I've started to include dpram in the build. Here is the complete list of missing GPIO settings (sorry for the doubles, better safe than sorry):

Code: Select all
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:958: error: 'GPIO_USIM_BOOT' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:959: error: 'GPIO_CP_BOOT_SEL' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1054: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1055: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_RST_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1061: error: 'GPIO_CP_BOOT_SEL' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1062: error: 'GPIO_USIM_BOOT' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1296: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_RST_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:1780: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2280: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2491: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2491: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N_AF' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2495: error: 'GPIO_FLM_RXD' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2495: error: 'GPIO_FLM_RXD_AF' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2498: error: 'GPIO_FLM_TXD' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2498: error: 'GPIO_FLM_TXD_AF' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2501: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_ON' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2508: error: 'GPIO_CP_BOOT_SEL' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2515: error: 'GPIO_USIM_BOOT' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2522: error: 'GPIO_PHONE_RST_N' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2529: error: 'GPIO_PDA_ACTIVE' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2617: error: 'GPIO_PDA_ACTIVE' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2623: error: 'GPIO_PDA_ACTIVE' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/staging/dpram/dpram.c:2657: error: 'GPIO_SIM_DETECT_N' undeclared (first use in this function)


Hi Thijs,

thanks for providing this list. This is a more or less complete list of GPIO signals between the S3C6410 and the baseband processor. I will try to complete the GPIO definitions to make the modules compile.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
User avatar
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team
 
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm


Return to JetKernel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Advertisement
cron