Tom3Q-2.6.38-Jet-convert

Kernel development related

Tom3Q-2.6.38-Jet-convert

Postby MadRocker » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:23 am

I have started to convert some files that boot to android on the GT-i5700 from Tom3Q.
This is a WIP "Work In Progress" so will need some adjustment for audio buttons and volume values.
The audio ak4671 might need to change but the general basis is there to complete the conversion.

If anyone wants to help complete this process then please feel free to jump in and edit away.
I will add more Jet specific hardware files and then we will need to modify and iron out some bugs.

It boots on Spica so it should boot with a bit of work on Jet eventually.

Q's ? :
Does it work ?
Likely not but worth a try, likely need screen driver modifications.
Will it work ?
Yeah likely but needs more work.

The basic Jet files:
https://github.com/MadRocker/Tom3Q-2.6.38-Jet-convert

Tom3Q 2.6.38:
https://github.com/tom3q/spica-2.6.38

Tom3Q 2.6.38 Modules:
https://github.com/tom3q/modules-2.6.38

KB, Dopi, anyone else that works on kernels please feel free to put this files as main source on JetDroid github.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: Tom3Q-2.6.38-Jet-convert

Postby Carlos_Manuel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Nice, maybe I can help!
First I need to know how to edit .c or .h files..?
Can I edit them in Linux Ubuntu?

P.S. when I use some your kernels the kernels newer than 2.6.29 then it's not work, nothing new text about kernel in boot loop, I tested Eclair, Froyo, GingerBread zImages..
I have kernel zImages for 2.6.29 does them work with newer kernels?
JétDroid ROMs, stuff... http://code.google.com/p/android-for-jet/
My YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlosJacksonHD
Github: manumanfred
XDA-Devs: Carlos_Manuel

Galaxy Nexus:
ROM: My own ROM 'Dreams', (KTU84P) KitKat 4.4.4
Carlos_Manuel
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby MadRocker » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:13 pm

The sensors you want is maybe the ../hw/sensors.gt-S8000.so .

.c and .h files you can edit in linux, some is easy others is a major pain. There is programs or used ot be that can run the file and optimize it + fix errors of spelling / syntax etc. not sure if that is still available.
Same idea as a web page optimizer / web page code checker.

2.6.29.6 or bigger kernel that makes a "zImage" is a slightly different format d\form older before 2.6.29.6 that we have for JetKernel. We do not have a working 2.6.29.6 or above kernel, maybe soon with Tom3Q kernel files.

To start you will need the kernel files and you can download them with "git" command.
See the google code JetDroid wiki / FAQ for development and how to get the kernel. Then look at the kernel for newby post I made in Jan/Feb2011 about, you want the Dopi experimental 24 March version.
This could be correct git clone -b git://github.com/JetDroid/JetKernel.git experimental-2.6.29-dopi

Example:
Code: Select all
cd /home/MadRocker/JetDroid/kernel-work
git clone git://something something
message = cloning something something into "something" folder.
cd /home/MadRocker/JetDroid/kernel-work/something

This takes some time and once complete first thing you do is to right click this new folder and make a zip file for emergency / backup.

Now to start playing with the kernel.
1. Do the normal JetKernel make jet_android_defconfig and this will make a .config
2. Next make ARCH=arm menuconfig and change what is needed and exit / save.
3. Change the .../JetKernel/Makefile there is a command for the toolchain that you can download witht he android 2gb files if you have then or cheat and use a good toolchain form the internet.
Example:
export KBUILD_BUILDHOST := $(SUBARCH)
ARCH         := arm
CROSS_COMPILE   := /home/madrocker/Desktop/JetDroid1/toolchain/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.5.2/bin/arm-none-eabi-
#CROSS_COMPILE   := $(shell if [ -f .cross_compile ]; then \
               cat .cross_compile; \
               fi)

Copy and paste this folder for the toolchain and then rename the *-gcc and copy that *-gcc name and paste at the end like above and remove the gcc name at the end.

Next is to make the zImage:
make ARCH=arm zImage if this fails see the problem and then there is 3 ways to fix it.
1. make menuconfig and remove the problem.
2. edit the problem file.
3. find another file that is similar and copy the text part that is the problem and replace it in the old file and make a new zImage.
4. Replace the whole problem file.

Edit error example:
CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.o
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c: In function 'Set_MAX8906_PM_REG':
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1336:2: warning: format '%x' expects type 'unsigned int', but argument 2 has type 'const char *'
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1336:2: warning: too many arguments for format
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1341:2: warning: format '%x' expects type 'unsigned int', but argument 2 has type 'const char *'
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1341:2: warning: too many arguments for format
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1349:2: error: 'reg' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1349:2: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1349:2: error: expected ')' before ':' token
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1354:2: error: expected ')' before ':' token
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c: In function 'max8906_debug_print':
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:2865:9: warning: unused variable 'voltage'
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:2864:10: warning: unused variable 'result'
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:2863:10: warning: unused variable 'tscbuff'
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:2862:13: warning: unused variable 'status'
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c: In function 'max8906_attach':
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:3011:2: warning: 'i2c_attach_client' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/i2c.h:434)
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c: In function 'max8906_detach_client':
drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:3037:2: warning: 'i2c_detach_client' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/i2c.h:435)
make[3]: *** [drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.o] Error 1

This is PM "power management" related , there is 2 power options in the make menuconfig.
1 in the main part and the 2nd is in the drivers. This problem is likely the 2nd one or you can find the max8906 in driver i2c and disable it.
Fix ?? = drivers/i2c/chips/max8906.c:1349:2: error: expected ')' before ':' token
line 1349 has a error where the : is it thinks there should be a ) before : Maybe fix this and hope it works. Again make ARCH=arm zImage , The rest you should be able to get more info on the internet for correct how-to for kernel and zImage.

And so slowly you chip away at the problem until it is gone or changed to a good enough state where you can have a working zImage and later fix the extra problem you saved for later in the same file.

Adding this to your resume / CV for a tech job is always good.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Carlos_Manuel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:23 pm

OK Thank You!

This is really hard! o_o

iIf I edit the kernel and zImage then it takes more than 2 weeks for me to understand all these!
JétDroid ROMs, stuff... http://code.google.com/p/android-for-jet/
My YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlosJacksonHD
Github: manumanfred
XDA-Devs: Carlos_Manuel

Galaxy Nexus:
ROM: My own ROM 'Dreams', (KTU84P) KitKat 4.4.4
Carlos_Manuel
Dev Team
Dev Team

Return to JetKernel