Next JetPlatform release ... rooted by default ?

Android system development related discussion

Next JetPlatform release ... rooted by default ?

Postby Dopi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:13 am

Hi all,

I have heard different opinions on platform releases that are rooted by default. Please share your opinions in this thread.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: Next JetPlatform release ... rooted by default ?

Postby vaclavpe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:32 am

What are advantages and disadvantages of the rooted phone ?

I personally would set the WiFi and other stuff the way that phone does not need to be rooted. Like for normal usage. The truth is, that during development, rooted phone can help...

Vasek
vaclavpe
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Daenja » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:03 am

vaclavpe wrote:What are advantages and disadvantages of the rooted phone ?

I personally would set the WiFi and other stuff the way that phone does not need to be rooted. Like for normal usage. The truth is, that during development, rooted phone can help...

Vasek

Well the clearest advance of the rooted phone is usage of su-apps such as titanium backup, quick boot.... Watch the link for more su-apps ;)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/07/13 ... now-about/

- Daenja
Daenja
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Kaesar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 am

Daenja wrote:
vaclavpe wrote:What are advantages and disadvantages of the rooted phone ?

Vasek

Well the clearest advance of the rooted phone is usage of su-apps such as titanium backup, quick boot.... Watch the link for more su-apps ;)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/07/13 ... now-about/

- Daenja

Don't really need titanium backup due to the way we have access to sd-card under ubuntu, also quick boot won't work as it is a form of hibernation and we don't have power management working yet.

I tend to agree, normal things like wifi should work without the phone being rooted else that is just bad practice. However it does make it easier trying to test new things out quickly without having to put stuff in the init.rc all the time.

Disadvantages are that if you gave an app the ability to use 'su' then it can do whatever it likes to your phone.

Main advantages, probably having direct access to commands (like insmod, mounting etc) and directly to devices (screenshot cap apps, adjust cpu freq/overclock, wifi tethering)
Last edited by Kaesar on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaesar
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby darengive » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:28 am

Yes, the next release should be rooted. It will give us more flexibility...and we can try new stuff...
Perception is Everything
darengive
Freshman

Postby Kaesar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:44 am

Personally, I don't think it should be rooted by default. If a user doesn't understand what is involved, what it does, why they would want it and what security implications it can have then they shouldn't be using it. There is nothing that really requires root from a user perspective that actually works on JetDroid right now. If we root it by default then that takes the choice away from the user, they may not know that it has even been done and what could happen.

However if it is decided to be rooted, can we at least use proper versions of su and superuser, I really don't like the idea of the actual 'root' to be some advertising 'plaguerised' copy, who knows what else is in this "androidmagicapps" modified version.
Kaesar
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby vaclavpe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:02 am

Kaesar wrote:However if it is decided to be rooted, can we at least use proper versions of su and superuser, I really don't like the idea of the actual 'root' to be some advertising 'plaguerised' copy, who knows what else is in this "androidmagicapps" modified version.

Absolutely agree.
vaclavpe
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Daenja » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

What if we make two platform releases, one normal and the other one rooted? Is it too much work?

-Daenja
Daenja
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Dopi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Daenja wrote:What if we make two platform releases, one normal and the other one rooted? Is it too much work?

This means additional work to maintain two binary releases. If we have the resources to provide this it would not be a bad idea. On the other hand, what would keep us from providing an unrooted JetPlatform (that is prepared for rooting and maybe already contains the superuser.apk) and an easy-to-install rooting kit. If I am not totally wrong rooting is primarily about replacing the su command. That should not be too difficult to put into an archive, right?

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Daenja » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Dopi wrote:
Daenja wrote:What if we make two platform releases, one normal and the other one rooted? Is it too much work?

This means additional work to maintain two binary releases. If we have the resources to provide this it would not be a bad idea. On the other hand, what would keep us from providing an unrooted JetPlatform (that is prepared for rooting and maybe already contains the superuser.apk) and an easy-to-install rooting kit. If I am not totally wrong rooting is primarily about replacing the su command. That should not be too difficult to put into an archive, right?

Cheers,
Dopi

I get your point. A platform with quick and easy rooting would be the easiest (and propably the best) solution! :ugeek:

- Daenja
Daenja
Dev Team
Dev Team

Next

Return to JetPlatform