Base 2.3 gingerbread root folder for S8000 development.

General discussion on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Base 2.3 gingerbread root folder for S8000 development.

Postby MadRocker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:22 pm

This is for fun only so do not use it unless you want to develop this as base system for S8000 / other phones.

You can do this 2 ways:
1st Method long method:
1.1. With this SDK clone, extract contents to root folder of memory card (ext2 or ext3 both works) .
then chmod -R 777 /media/sdcard
1.2. Extract Wifi_working.tar.gz and replace files now on memory card. go deep so you see the zImage tehn you are in the correct folder.
1.3. Extract Sensor_patch_working.tar.gz extract all but NOT init.rc, NOT init.goldfish.rc and replace files on memory card.
1.4. Extract only GCC4.4.3 zImage in link below and replace only zImage do not copy extra files in folder.
1.5. Make sure /sys /dev /proc folder = empty.
1.6. Copy keyboard layout onto memory card.
1.7. Safely remove / eject and wait until complete.
1.8. Re-start into Jet-Droid normal way.

This is now same as beta1 version linked below.

Error = time incorrect, yes change time, wifi not active / not working yet = normal at this time still working on it. 2.1 Kernel or sensors Kernel changes calibration = normal working on fix.

2nd method Jet-Ginger-Beta1:
2.1.Extract contents of Jet-Ginger-Beta1 to root folder of memory card, if it shows .tar go one level deeper until you see zImage then extract that folder content.
2.2. sudo chmod -R 777 /media/sdcard
Replace /media/sdcard above with your card name like /media/android or /media/JetDroid .
2.3. Safely remove / eject and wait until finished.
2.4. start Jet-Droid with left and right button normal JetDroid way.

Code: Select all
File name: Ginger-Jet-SDK.zip
File description: JetDroid-GingerBread-WIP
File size: 62.01 MB
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S12UDB0I

GCC4.4.3 JetKernel testing 29Dec2010:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UIPZFGGQ

File name: Jet-Ginger-Beta1.tar.gz
File description: 12Jan2011 Jet-Ginger-Beta1
File size: 64.06 MB
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=22SYAUBB

Notes:
1. Adding more modules to modules folder does 2 things = makes it faster as some driver then work better, if only a few and if more than 12 makes it slower, takes longer to load.
2. Some other droid version has their modules .ko files in main folder and in /data/local not sure why iphone droid example. Iphone droid does not Arm Cortex a8 work on the Jet Arm11 arm6 code so no nee dot try.
3. 1st boot animation tries to load with gcc4.4.3 kernel so instead of white flash on screen it is color pix-elated then disappears 1 secs about.
4. if you have pid errors the replace the init.rc with sdk zip file original = gingerbread specific until we update it leave it alone.
5. rild 32bit compatibility mode and uevent something is the only normal text error.
6. Boot time is about 70 secs from first red text on a (Class2 4gb) ext2 format card, leave it to finish booting before playing with it.
7. Do not enable airline mode as you can disable it bit it remains on the wifi bar as a blue airplane = bug.

Please test other kernels and use this Beta1 as base to compare too and report your findings / errors / fixes.

For Devl.s Update:
24Jan2011-Jet-2.3.2.tar.gz.tar.gz contains a clean generic 2.3.2 for Jet-Ginger, 3x .img, installed-files.txt, systm and root folders.
ro.build.display.id=generic-eng 2.3.2 GRH78C eng.aa.20110124.030644 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.aa.20110124.030644
ro.build.version.sdk=9
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.2

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WMHURBXQ

Have fun.
Last edited by MadRocker on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: Base 2.3 gingerbread root folder for S8000 development.

Postby perrylane788 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Do you know if this might be compatible with the Samsung Captivate? This is my wife's phone. She is currently running on Froyo, but I would like to play around with Gingerbread. Do you know if this upgrade is worth the effort? Thanks for any help.
Perry in Pink
www.goldenrule.com
perrylane788
Freshman

Postby MadRocker » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:01 pm

This is here to save anyone the compile time it takes to get the base / root folders done. 80mins for me could be 8 hours for others on their pc's.

Perry as for worth it, it all depends on what you might like or how you like your phone.
Some people like a burger others like chateaubriand for dinner it is all food and serves to feed you.

Captive gingerbread could be compatible but would likely need a lot of work to customize it to her Captive. There might be a gingerbread version for Captive out already.

I would suggest you search for a already developed captive version in the works and then go from there as it might be easier if not then please feel free to use this. I do not know your linux skill so you will have to decide.

Here is a few of my thoughts that could be helpful.

Possible issues you might want to consider:
Keep this below in mind for compatibility issues with other gingerbread versions.
1. Check for detailed info on gingerbread and your Captive phone specs, then compare the mission difficulty.
2. If the phone can not handle the memory / processors loads then you can cheat with current kernel or using uclibc v3 or v4beta instead of gcc and recompile the whole business + there might be compatibility issues with default gingerbread app's, maybe no issues or small issues or none, not sure.
3. How much the same or modified do you want to do it away from default Gingerbread versions = more work / possible more issues.

Possible default specs:
Gingerbread 2.3 uses 2.6.37 kernel, gcc 4.4.3/4.5.* and several others newer files + needs at least 1ghz processor unless heavily modified / optimized.
Froyo 2.2 uses 2.6.32 kernel, gcc 4.4.0/4.4.3 ( 4.4.3 needs minm. glibc2.11 ? )
Eclair 2.1 uses 2.6.29 kernel, gcc 4.3.*/4.4.0

GCC:
GCC 4.5.0 has it's own issues possibly fixed in GCC 4.5.1, GCC4.4.3 is likely preferred and backwards compatible with older version that was used to build apps with. Building Captive Gingerbread with GCC 4.3.1 and running apps build with GCC4.4.3 = major issues likely you get the picture. Gcc4.5.* code change as well as python version code change can produce many other new problems.

The gcc version / kernel changes + other optimizations might end up causing that you would have to make your own Captive version + rebuild all the apps to work optimally or it just might work with your version as opposed to default Gingerbread apps.

Kernel:
You might be able to reuse the Froyo kernel image or have to modify it to work with gingerbread no idea
Newer kernel is not really needed if Froyo 2.2 kernel works fine.

Conclusion:
It could be easy or a major pain, so treat it as fun / hobby and if it works great.
If all this is okay with you then it should be fairly easy.
You might end up spending 8 hours to 8000 hours to complete such a mission.

Hope this info helps.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Dopi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:24 pm

MadRocker wrote:This will boot s8000 with our latest kernel then show (android in text) and complain about PID's so it is not working and needs to be tweaked. Replace the zImage with our default kernel for kernel logging.

Initially we had similar problems with Eclair, too. Do the logs tell you anything why it fails? Sometimes disabling services in init.rc can be useful. I also heard that some android versions need audio and won't boot if they don't find any audio device.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby sploutch » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 am

So fun, with the last JetKernel and init.rc, this platform start and i can navigate in the menu :D
But, it's realy gingerbread ?
JetPlatform Froyo on GitHub : https://github.com/sploutch
sploutch
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby MadRocker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 am

That is good news. :mrgreen: Have not tried this yet. Did the same thing with Froyo yesterday + today same results.

Gingerbread yes, 99% sure it is. Built it from source unless I messed up somewhere LOL :oops:

If you are not sure check youtube / pics of other gingerbread and compare.

You can also if you have the windows ADK / SDK start a gingerbread or "API 9" Ginger+Gapps vm version then using android commander copy the whole gingerbread file system to folder on your pc and later dump it on your memory card + Jet zImage and compare.

It might needs some heavy tweaking to get it working normally + the android apps might have to build custom ones for this.

The kernel I saw a message today about a HTC kernel that had to enable above 246mb ram usage and this improved the overall performance, not sure if we can or need to do the same for Ginger / Eclair and how it would affect performance.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby sploutch » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:57 am

It's strange but the desktop is the same like android 2.1.
In the settings, the info show as a 2.1 update 1 version.
I'm sur that was not gingerbread.
Please try it ;)
sploutch
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby MadRocker » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 pm

You know what I will rebuild it with a clean -b gingerbread only download then upload it.

I see in the build.prop it has 2.1 eclair in there not sure how as this was -b gingerbread.

You can also run the windows android sdk start a gingerbread api9 and android commander or tkfileexplorer and copy the running system to your windows desktop if you need it before I can re-build one.

Updated first post.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby MadRocker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Jet-GingerBread runs pretty good as compared to 1ghz phones that runs slower that the Jet-GingerBread.
up-time real watch time 30 mins no issues.

Tested with:
Sensor_patch_working.tar.gz " init " and JetKernel-29-dec-2010-GCC4.4.3.tar.bz2 kernel, deleted the /proc /dev /sys folder content = empty those 3 folders.

The rest is the same as in the zip file.

What:
Normal = no wifi no internet no bluetooth, screen rotate / wifi not added / not tested yet.

First thing is to go to menu->settings->display and set it to 30mins before standby, disable animations for best results.

Problem:
The up-time shows 60 secs in 30 secs real time problem in the kernel that we will fix with a "RTC" patch later.

Buttons/Navigation buttons:
1. You need to use the menu button as back button and not the "lock" button as you are used too.
2. If you get some scan lines over the screen "standby mode" use the menu button and the normal standby unlock screen comes up, slide the "lock" pic to the right to unlock.
3. The phone dial numbers pad might be sluggish on exit just press and release the menu button and wait for 3 secs at most before normal screens hows up. Did not have the keyboard layout on the phone when testing.

Future need to test:
We might need to add or edit the keyboard layout and fine tune the init scripts, add the dhd.ko + sensors patches + normal other stuff in next test's.

Pics:
File name: Jet-Ginger-Pics.zip
File description: Jet-GingerBread-Working
File size: 18.05 MB
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LKXRF7QO
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby sploutch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 am

Very great news
I just tested, gingerbread is great although very slow on the jet
I made some changes to the platform :
- new qwerty.kl
- new init
- new zImage
- new build.prop (typical mobile, dpi)
sploutch
Dev Team
Dev Team