Rumor Android 2.4 Gingerbread

General discussion on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Rumor Android 2.4 Gingerbread

Postby HenriA » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Hey folks, i was reading a dutch Technology site (tweakers.net) and i came across this.
De Duitse site BestBoyz publiceerde een video waarin een Nexus S is te zien die op Android 2.4 draait. Het toestel zou in Duitsland worden voorzien van 2.4 en in maart in de verkoop gaan. Tweakers.net komt sinds december een Nexus S met Android 2.4 onder de naam Gingerbread tegen in de statistieken.

It is written in dutch, so here i will give a rough translation.

The German site BestBoyz published a video where we could see a Nexus S running Android 2.4. The phone will be installed with 2.4 in Germany, and go for sale in March. Tweakers.net sees since December a Nexus S with Android 2.4 under the name Gingerbrad in it's statistics.

The site tweakers.net is famous here in The Netherlands becouse of it's trustability. So it is verry possible that this is true.

Greetings
The jet will take-off to meet the android people! :)
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: Rumor Android 2.4 Gingerbread

Postby Rcfreak07 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:19 pm

But Android 2.4 is called "Ice Cream Sandwich" and not "Gingerbread" ;)
Rcfreak07

Postby HenriA » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Nop, i think you are wrong there, 2.4 brings only small updates, and the same as android 2.0/2.1 (eclair) will be done, the same name, different version number, a few changes.

But if you can get me a decent source of your name, then i will go in a different way, but as i sayd tweakers.net is a widly trusted source in the netherlands, most of the things standing there, are true ;)
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Kaesar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 pm

joopykoopy wrote:Nop, i think you are wrong there, 2.4 brings only small updates, and the same as android 2.0/2.1 (eclair) will be done, the same name, different version number, a few changes.

But if you can get me a decent source of your name, then i will go in a different way, but as i sayd tweakers.net is a widly trusted source in the netherlands, most of the things standing there, are true ;)

Android 2.4 doesn't exist, it was an error when they were testing a patch for the Nexus S and the devs mistyped the version number. Honeycomb is, afaik, still version 3.0, while Ice Cream Sandwich has yet to be given a version number. Hope that clears things up :)

Cheers,
Kaes
Kaesar
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby HenriA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

hmm, thnx for the info, but if it were an error, why wouldn't tweakers.net say so in ther newsposts? they admit they make errors, so well, this wouldn't be a shame to be made i guess.
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Kaesar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:09 pm

http://phandroid.com/2011/01/10/android ... google-io/

Because it was only *just* realised that 2.4 showing was a mistake, google haven't announced whether ICS will be 2.4 or 3.1... I guess it depends on whether they consider it a 'successor' to honeycomb or whether it is the 'mobile' version of honeycomb. Also just because honeycomb has been confirmed as version 3.0 earlier, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be released by ICS so it could go..

2.1 Eclair
2.2 Froyo
2.3 Gingerbread
2.4 ICS
3.0 Honeycomb (tablets only).

All we know for certain now is that Honeycomb is definately 3.0 as it has been confirmed at CES.
Kaesar
Dev Team
Dev Team

Return to Gingerbread (Android 2.3)