Galaxy S

Discussion specific to Samsung GT-I9000 (Galaxy S)

Galaxy S

Postby squidink14 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi guys.
I have decided my next phone I am getting is the Galaxy S. Either late December or January.
I would like to know if anyone has been on this phone and what they think of it - I spent about 5 mins on it in the O2 shop and I think its great!
This however does not mean I will be leaving the project. I will be happy to continue doing graphics or whatever else is needed.

Regards
Squidink14
YouTube = youtube.com/squidink14
Website = squidink.netii.net
Video Tutorial = jetdroid.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22
squidink14
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: Galaxy S

Postby Jose_Paramore » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:59 pm

squidink14 wrote:Hi guys.
I have decided my next phone I am getting is the Galaxy S. Either late December or January.
I would like to know if anyone has been on this phone and what they think of it - I spent about 5 mins on it in the O2 shop and I think its great!
This however does not mean I will be leaving the project. I will be happy to continue doing graphics or whatever else is needed.

Regards
Squidink14

Hi,
I was thinking about get a Galaxy S, but I can't leave my phone company until September, so I think I'll get a Nexus S for that time.
Anyway, I think Galaxy S is the coolest phone in the world at this moment!
Cheers,
Jose
Come on JétDroid team!!! ;D
Jose_Paramore
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dopi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:08 pm

I think the Galaxy-S is a little bit too large. This is why I still think that the Jet is a truly great phone. If you like the Galaxy-S you should also look at the to be release Google Nexus-S. It is said to be released soon and the spec is very close to the Galaxy-S ...

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Jose_Paramore » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Dopi wrote:I think the Galaxy-S is a little bit too large. This is why I still think that the Jet is a truly great phone. If you like the Galaxy-S you should also look at the to be release Google Nexus-S. It is said to be released soon and the spec is very close to the Galaxy-S ...

Cheers,
Dopi

Hi,
I think that 4 inches is a good size, but no more ;)
Both phones are great, but I prefer the nexus S. Why? First, because it comes with android 2.3 Gingerbread, and the second thing is a phone powered-by-Google, so you receive all the updates in the moment they come out.
Cheers,
Jose
PD: do you received my two private messages Dopi? :?
Jose_Paramore
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby squidink14 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Yes the phone is quite large but that is what I like about it. And I also looked at the HD7 Windows Phone and that was so big my thumb couldn't even reach the back button! (4.3" Screen)
I have just looked at the Nexus S and it is quite similar, but I don't like the rounded shape - it looks like a fish tank or something :lol:

@Jose - The Galaxy S is also powered by Google (It has the Google logo on the back) but yes, I think an official Google product will be updated faster.
squidink14
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Jose_Paramore » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:28 pm

squidink14 wrote:Yes the phone is quite large but that is what I like about it. And I also looked at the HD7 Windows Phone and that was so big my thumb couldn't even reach the back button! (4.3" Screen)
I have just looked at the Nexus S and it is quite similar, but I don't like the rounded shape - it looks like a fish tank or something :lol:

@Jose - The Galaxy S is also powered by Google (It has the Google logo on the back) but yes, I think an official Google product will be updated faster.

Yeah... I know that it has got that letters xD, but I mean that it has not an UI like sense UI or touchwiz, it's pure Android so it receive updates faster
It's the same between Google Nexus One and HTC Desire...
Cheers,
Jose
Jose_Paramore
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby squidink14 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Jose_Paramore wrote:Yeah... I know that it has got that letters xD, but I mean that it has not an UI like sense UI or touchwiz, it's pure Android so it receive updates faster
It's the same between Google Nexus One and HTC Desire...
Cheers,
Jose

Yes as Samsung would have to include their own updates too. Although you can always flash the phone ;)
squidink14
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Kaesar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm

squidink14 wrote:Hi guys.

Regards
Squidink14

Personally, even tho they are really nice for me there is a couple of issues with the galaxy S.

1) It's Samsung, and I'd never by another Samsung phone again because they just suck at software updates. Froyo isn't even available yet for the Galaxy S. Also Samsung are going to be concentrating more in WM7 phones so tends to make me dubious on how interested they will be in doing android updates.

2) GPS - Galaxy S are well known for their GPS issues which they don't seem able to fix. Funnily enough they have changed (this week) both the GPS and wifi antenna in the upcoming Nexus S. Wouldn't surprise me if they were using the same ones as the Galaxy S and just can't fix the problem and/or google told them to get their sh*t together.

3) Not a hardware problem but they insist on using YAFFS2 file system which is just horrible and ruins what otherwise would be very good phone hardware wise.

However, the Nexus S does interest me, if it is dual core, doesn't use YAFFS2, doesn't have GPS problems and google are definately handling ALL the updates then there is where my ££ might go.
Kaesar
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby squidink14 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Kaesar wrote:
Personally, even tho they are really nice for me there is a couple of issues with the galaxy S.

1) It's Samsung, and I'd never by another Samsung phone again because they just suck at software updates. Froyo isn't even available yet for the Galaxy S. Also Samsung are going to be concentrating more in WM7 phones so tends to make me dubious on how interested they will be in doing android updates.

2) GPS - Galaxy S are well known for their GPS issues which they don't seem able to fix. Funnily enough they have changed (this week) both the GPS and wifi antenna in the upcoming Nexus S. Wouldn't surprise me if they were using the same ones as the Galaxy S and just can't fix the problem and/or google told them to get their sh*t together.

3) Not a hardware problem but they insist on using YAFFS2 file system which is just horrible and ruins what otherwise would be very good phone hardware wise.

However, the Nexus S does interest me, if it is dual core, doesn't use YAFFS2, doesn't have GPS problems and google are definately handling ALL the updates then there is where my ££ might go.

1) I know what you mean about updates. The Samsung Jet ones are a joke, they say an update is coming out and over 1 and a half years later - where is it?

2) I probably wouldn't use the GPS. I have rarely used in on the Jet (Probably because it never works or on Route66 it always says 'Not enough resources, please close some applications'

BTW: Do you mean dual core as in 2 Processors? That would drain the battery life wouldn't it? :D

Regards,
Squidink14

Also I have looked at the Win7 Phones. I'm not sure about them, they're too big and just like a grid. I do like the XboxLive though :)
squidink14
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Bonsitm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Froyo is out for the Galaxy S, but there are reports of GPS problems, I can confirm, as any youtube search will reveal!
Bonsitm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to GT-I9000 (Galaxy S)