Galaxy S

Discussion specific to Samsung GT-I9000 (Galaxy S)

Re: Galaxy S

Postby Kaesar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 pm

squidink14 wrote:1) I know what you mean about updates. The Samsung Jet ones are a joke, they say an update is coming out and over 1 and a half years later - where is it?

2) I probably wouldn't use the GPS. I have rarely used in on the Jet (Probably because it never works or on Route66 it always says 'Not enough resources, please close some applications'

BTW: Do you mean dual core as in 2 Processors? That would drain the battery life wouldn't it? :D

Regards,
Squidink14

Also I have looked at the Win7 Phones. I'm not sure about them, they're too big and just like a grid. I do like the XboxLive though :)

1) Haha yeah NPS is the biggest pile of rubbish (for updating) I've ever used. What happened to that horizontal menu system when rotating that was shown in a firmware over a year ago. I feel sorry for anyone who bought a 'Wave', they have now probably been sidelined by android and wm7, just like the Jet was for bada o/s.

2) I just use google maps, handy when walking around places you don't know. Got a tomtom for the car so haven't even bothered installing route66.

Well 2 processor cores in 1 chip, just like pc's with core 2 duo's etc, multithreading. Not really because to put a dual core in they would of needed to miniaturise the fabrication process and generally, if not always, chips on a small fabrication use less power, that should help offset the fact there are twice as many cores. Also the fact that the chip will be quicker at the same 'speed' as the chip is more efficient and a faster chip will get the 'work done' a lot quicker and therefore be idle for more the time. Only thing that might kill the battery is heavy gaming for extended periods where everything is running maxed out but that happens on most handheld gaming devices too.

Cheers,
Kaes
Kaesar
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Postby Dopi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:17 am

Kaesar wrote:Well 2 processor cores in 1 chip, just like pc's with core 2 duo's etc, multithreading. Not really because to put a dual core in they would of needed to miniaturise the fabrication process and generally, if not always, chips on a small fabrication use less power, that should help offset the fact there are twice as many cores. Also the fact that the chip will be quicker at the same 'speed' as the chip is more efficient and a faster chip will get the 'work done' a lot quicker and therefore be idle for more the time. Only thing that might kill the battery is heavy gaming for extended periods where everything is running maxed out but that happens on most handheld gaming devices too.

Besides this, the Nexus-S seems to have a 5330 mAh battery (as you can see here). Thus there should be enough room for spending some more energy on the processor. The Jet battery is 1080 mAh. :D

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby vaclavpe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 am

Dopi wrote:Besides this, the Nexus-S seems to have a 5330 mAh battery (as you can see here). Thus there should be enough room for spending some more energy on the processor. The Jet battery is 1080 mAh. :D

Dopi,
it is in WattHour, not AmperHour ;-) So, it is let's say 1440mAh ;-)
vaclavpe
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Kaesar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:53 am

vaclavpe wrote:
Dopi wrote:Besides this, the Nexus-S seems to have a 5330 mAh battery (as you can see here). Thus there should be enough room for spending some more energy on the processor. The Jet battery is 1080 mAh. :D

Dopi,
it is in WattHour, not AmperHour ;-) So, it is let's say 1440mAh ;-)

Haha I was gonna say, otherwise it would be the size of a small car battery lol. Still 40% *potential* longer life than the Jet.
On that note, battery usage seems to be a lot better on the 0.3 kernel, I kept wifi on last night for 2+ hours while running a few apps and I had used 2/5 bars when I went back into sammy o/s (including usage at work in the day). I'm pretty certain at one point it would be completely dead after running JetDroid for 1-2 hours and that was without wifi.
Kaesar
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Dopi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:20 pm

vaclavpe wrote:it is in WattHour, not AmperHour ;-) So, it is let's say 1440mAh ;-)

Ooops :oops: I was already wondering how big that battery might be. Seems I have never heard of battery capacities measured in Wh ...

However, in this case the processor should better be saving energy. I am still very curious how well our Jet will be in terms of battery life when running Android. I tend to beleive that the Samsung OS is very good when it comes to low power consumption. Just the performance is very low, too ;)

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby squidink14 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Well on second thoughts, it might be cheaper just to get a car battery instead :lol:
No, but thanks. I will have a look at other phones, but until I find a better one, I'm sticking with the Galaxy S.

Regards,
Squidink14

PS: If anyone does know of a better phone, tell me! :D
YouTube = youtube.com/squidink14
Website = squidink.netii.net
Video Tutorial = jetdroid.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22
squidink14
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Jose_Paramore » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:08 pm

squidink14 wrote:Well on second thoughts, it might be cheaper just to get a car battery instead :lol:
No, but thanks. I will have a look at other phones, but until I find a better one, I'm sticking with the Galaxy S.

Regards,
Squidink14

Well, If the nexus S was not true, I would like to buy the nexus one, because of the updates too ;D
But yes, the galaxy S is a very very very nice phone, and it's cheaper than an Iphone :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Jose
Come on JétDroid team!!! ;D
Jose_Paramore
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby squidink14 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Jose_Paramore wrote:
squidink14 wrote:Well on second thoughts, it might be cheaper just to get a car battery instead :lol:

Regards,
Squidink14

Well, If the nexus S was not true, I would like to buy the nexus one, because of the updates too ;D
But yes, the galaxy S is a very very very nice phone, and it's cheaper than an Iphone :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Jose

Yes, I dislike the iPhone anyway. My parents have them and when my dad tried to update to iOS 4.2, it took all day only to come up with an error! And all it did was sync the phone. Apple are a pile of :!: with updates and flash lol.
YouTube = youtube.com/squidink14
Website = squidink.netii.net
Video Tutorial = jetdroid.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22
squidink14
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Jose_Paramore » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:54 pm

squidink14 wrote:
Jose_Paramore wrote:

Regards,
Squidink14

Cheers,
Jose

Yes, I dislike the iPhone anyway. My parents have them and when my dad tried to update to iOS 4.2, it took all day only to come up with an error! And all it did was sync the phone. Apple are a pile of :!: with updates and flash lol.

And ITunes... why do I have to register my phone to copy a miserable song?!?
Apple sucks :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Jose
Come on JétDroid team!!! ;D
Jose_Paramore
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Byeranger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Jose_Paramore wrote:Apple sucks :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Jose

Apple does not suck at all, just iTunes & the updating. Just take a look at the ipodTouch, it's amazingly fast and can do so much more than our S8000, for half the price xd..

I know it doesn't support gsm network, but still.
Byeranger
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to GT-I9000 (Galaxy S)