new S3C6410 mobile phone from Samsung

Disucssion specific to Samsung SPH-M920 (Transform)

Re: Froyo on Behold II

Postby Dopi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:28 pm

minibike12 wrote:But are you still developping in eclair, or is it froyo now, this isnt clear for me yet.

I am also a little bit confused. There is so much motion right now ;) Personally I try to focus a little bit more on the kernel. Thus I don't do much, neither for eclait, nor for froyo. However, I don't think we should spend too much time on Eclair anymore if we can get Froyo or maybe even Gingerbread up and running easily.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Postby KB_JetDroid » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Dopi wrote:
minibike12 wrote:But are you still developping in eclair, or is it froyo now, this isnt clear for me yet.

I am also a little bit confused. There is so much motion right now ;) Personally I try to focus a little bit more on the kernel. Thus I don't do much, neither for eclait, nor for froyo. However, I don't think we should spend too much time on Eclair anymore if we can get Froyo or maybe even Gingerbread up and running easily.

Cheers,
Dopi

Is the froyo/gingerbread for JetDroid stable enough to start working?
If not I think we should follow step by step procedure. First let the clean froyo/gingerbread platform with minimal components work on Jet and test it. Once that is done we can migrate the modules one by one which we have modified for Jet.
Otherwise we might stuck with the issues and won't be able to tell if it is due to our module or new platform.
I haven't worked on Android platform as such before JetDroid, but I can tell that upgrading the platform is straight forward process if you have stabilized your old platform and follow step by step approach.

- KB

PS: I was not quite in touch with the forum recently hence not aware what all developments are happening. If someone has successfully migrated all the modules with froyo/gingerbread, please ignore my post. ;)
KB_JetDroid
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Dopi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm

KB_JetDroid wrote:Is the froyo/gingerbread for JetDroid stable enough to start working?

Good question. I just saw an update from Sloutch that he managed to boot Froyo (bases on CyanogenMOD / Samdroid). MadRocker has a working Gingerbread version. I don't exactly know about stability. I tend to believe that the CyanogenMOD version would be a safe bet, but who knows. I just know that our current Eclair platform - please correct me if I'm wrong - is not so good either ;)

KB_JetDroid wrote:If not I think we should follow step by step procedure. First let the clean froyo/gingerbread platform with minimal components work on Jet and test it. Once that is done we can migrate the modules one by one which we have modified for Jet.
Otherwise we might stuck with the issues and won't be able to tell if it is due to our module or new platform.
I haven't worked on Android platform as such before JetDroid, but I can tell that upgrading the platform is straight forward process if you have stabilized your old platform and follow step by step approach.

I totally agree to that.

KB_JetDroid wrote:PS: I was not quite in touch with the forum recently hence not aware what all developments are happening. If someone has successfully migrated all the modules with froyo/gingerbread, please ignore my post. ;)

I don't think we have made any Jet specific changes to froyo / gingerbread, yet. It was just a test to see if we can work with these versions.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Re: new S3C6410 mobile phone from Samsung

Postby MadRocker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 am

Yup same as Dopi post info above.
Current status:
Making any of the Android version work is easy as long as we can get the kernel + drivers sorted out.
I looked at kernels above 2.6.29.5 kernels and the code is less buggy so will need to backport or update the defconfig to 2.6.29.6+ kernel version. Yes I feel this pain.

Jet-Ginger
Ginger is a Galaxy Tab SDK VM clone with a few added files so yes stable in that sense or a base to test against as reference when doing other changes / a new version.
Jet-Ginger Beta1 can be used as a scratch pad to first test changes and then push changes to a compiled version.

Froyo Beta1:
We will need to make a beta1 copy for Froyo = much more temperamental than GIngerbread as Ginger is near native ARM code see http://blogs.arm.com/software-enablement/366-android-23-gingerbread-ndk-now-close-to-pure-native-development/

Think of elcair as win xp and froyo as win vista and gingerbread as win 7, if you know windows you would understand this comment.

Clean Base compile
We will need to once we decide to start with Froyo / GIngerbread compile a clean copy for both Ginger and Froyo and then start from there.

I should get some time soon to make a Froyo beta1.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Byeranger » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

That new phone has a resolution of 320 x 480, i´m pretty sure it will run smooth..
Another confirmation it's a challange to get it running fast @ 480x800 :P
Byeranger
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dopi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 am

MadRocker wrote:Current status:
Making any of the Android version work is easy as long as we can get the kernel + drivers sorted out.
I looked at kernels above 2.6.29.5 kernels and the code is less buggy so will need to backport or update the defconfig to 2.6.29.6+ kernel version. Yes I feel this pain.

I created a new thread for us to disucss the kernel version question here: http://www.jetdroid.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=404

Clean Base compile
We will need to once we decide to start with Froyo / GIngerbread compile a clean copy for both Ginger and Froyo and then start from there.
[/quote]
I strongly suggest to look at working based on the Samdroid sources. They hold many changes that we need to make anyway. As the new systems/versions are CaynogenMOD based they may be a little bloated. Nonetheless it should be no problem to strip them down a bit to make them boot faster and have a smaller footprint. If I understand the CyanogenMOD system correctly the have some features that users may like (e.g. easy changing of themes).

Cheers,
Dopi
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Previous

Return to SPH-M920 (Transform)