Coming close to the Jét

Discussion specific to Motorola Defy

Coming close to the Jét

Postby Dopi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Of course I would never trade my Jét against any other phone, jut because it is so much fun working on JetDroid :lol:

Just at some rare occasions I am looking at other phones. The Mororola Defy caught my eye because it is is also very compact in size. Just a little thicker but a good small size with camera and LED flash.

The funny thing though is, that it also has an 800 MHz (in this case TI OMAP) processor. Thus it is again a brand new phone that won't make the Jét look too old and odd. I think I'll keep my Jét some more ;)

Cheers,
Dopi

P.S.: Have a look at the Motorola Defy here.
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: Coming close to the Jét

Postby Kurdo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 pm

I have the same thing going on here, I really don't want to buy an other phone, the jet is just perfect with size and hardware. And when jetdroid finishes, it will be the perfect phone for me :D.

You guys are doing a great job!
Kurdo

Postby HenriA » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 am

Well dopi, the 800MHz doesn't say everything. The input/output speed is also important. A friend of mine bought an archos 101, and has a HTC HD2 running android. He said that the CPU from both is 1GHz, that's nice, but I checked the DMIPS. The archos 101 has 1.1DMIPS and as far as I could find, the snapdragon used in the HD2 has 2.1 or something. That would make the snapdragon faster.

It's just the same with intel VS AMD. If you got an 2.0GHz P4 and a 2.0GHz Athlon 64, the speed can differ. Because it can input/output more answers in the same time. This is what I know. But well, I think this CPU is fast, because the iPhone uses the same? (not sure of that, I will search)
The jet will take-off to meet the android people! :)
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dopi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 am

joopykoopy wrote:Well dopi, the 800MHz doesn't say everything. The input/output speed is also important. A friend of mine bought an archos 101, and has a HTC HD2 running android. He said that the CPU from both is 1GHz, that's nice, but I checked the DMIPS. The archos 101 has 1.1DMIPS and as far as I could find, the snapdragon used in the HD2 has 2.1 or something. That would make the snapdragon faster.

It's just the same with intel VS AMD. If you got an 2.0GHz P4 and a 2.0GHz Athlon 64, the speed can differ. Because it can input/output more answers in the same time. This is what I know. But well, I think this CPU is fast, because the iPhone uses the same? (not sure of that, I will search)

You are right, that clock speed in MHz only gives a rough idea what performance the system can deliver. I this case the Omap 3610 is already an ARMv7 CPU (Corex A8) thus architecture-wise it should be superior to our S3C6410 (ARMv6). However, these days it also seems to matter what GPU is bundled with your processor. Also in this field the Omap might be ahead, but I like the thought that our Jet does not look too odd and old against these new phones :;

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby MadRocker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 am

If we can get the Jet up and running it would get close to or the same as the latest phones as it is some serious piece of hardware and would stay decent for a few more years. My next jump is dual or quad core phone, not sure about what is next for phone video.
Price, unlocked , quad band, specs / performance ect combo make me buy or not.

Maybe the $200 smaller new iPhone that is next in line would be good only if we can put Android on it.

Joopy : Archos there is a nice Android version for this that your friend might want to try.
UrukDroid_0.6-EasyInstall.rar This covers several Android hardware models in one and looks very promising for the Archos.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby HenriA » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 am

Well, I don't have an archos tablet at the moment, mine is for repair... And it was an Archos 7 HT 8GB old version :P

But a classmate of mine whas looking for an archos tablet (101) and has an HD2, that way I knew the data of speed, cuz I searched the web for him :)

But I will take a look at that UrukDroid.
The jet will take-off to meet the android people! :)
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Defy