Question from the WaveDroid project

Discussion specific to Android porting to Samsung S8500 Wave (WaveDroid)

Re: Question from the WaveDroid project

Postby Dopi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

omarittu94 wrote:Hi everyone,in XDA we are trying to port android froyo on samsung wave and wave II,
oleg_k successifull booted the kernel and the bootloader by jtag...

so we have a request,if you can we shall be glad of your help booting android without jtag...but by internal memory (and if possible by SD).
actually we are trying to boot android by a bug in the FOTA file present in the firmware,but with no many results)

I already saw the video on youtube. Congratulations! However, our resources are very limited and we still have a lot of work to do for JetDroid. If you have some questions please feel free to post them here and we will help with our knowledge.

I think using some bugs in the current system is most likely the best approach as patching the bootloader did not go on very well. I recently learned that Bada is also based on a Linux kernel. Thus there are surely some bugs that you can exploit to load and boot a kernel.

Good luck with your work.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Re: Question from the WaveDroid project

Postby nbates66 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey Jetdroid devs, thought i'd pluck up the courage to ask for help with the Android port for Wave.

Oleg can successfully boot the kernel with Android GUI etc working, various drivers still work in progress.

while oleg is working on kernel drivers, we managed to figure a way of executing the kernel from the Wave's onboard storage without the need of Jtag but we're stuck at modifying the kernel to mount it's system partitions from the external SDcard. So far, the kernel appears to go into a recovery mode (we are able to establish adb communications) with no Android gui etc since the kernel doesn't know where to mount /system from.

I've been thinking it can be done by modifying the mount commands in the init scripts (init.rc contained in initramfs)to point toward the external SDcard containing extracted factoryfs.rfs(/dev/block/mmcblk1p5), It hasn't worked so far, any ideas?

oleg put his kernel and initramfs sources that we've been using here, The kernel and is based on the Galaxy i9000 XXJPX firmware kernel:
https://github.com/Oleg-k
we're using the factoryfs.rfs file from the Galaxy S i9000 XXJPX firmware, which can be found on samfirware.com

EDIT: well it took alot longer for this post to be verified then i expected, but oh well, We managed to make additional progress successfully getting the filesystems mounted, but currently the init.rc script appears to hang, though i don't have a log yet:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... 56&page=99
nbates66
Freshman

Previous

Return to WaveDroid