MonteDroid (Samsung Monte S5620)

Discussion specific to Android porting to Samsung GT-S5620 Monte (MonteDroid)

MonteDroid (Samsung Monte S5620)

Postby FMAranda » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey guys from JetDroid, I'm here to represent everyone from another forum who owns a Monte and wish to have Android OS ported to it.

We believe that Monte has a hardware capable of run Android, we also have some tools and promising ideas.

I'll be really happy if you JetDroid developers and users could help us, you know how Samsung hardware works.

On this link you can find more info: http://cuthut.com/montedroid

Thanks.
Last edited by FMAranda on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830B
Android Stock Rom Gingerbread 2.3.4
FMAranda
Freshman

Advertisement

Re: MonteDroid (Samsung Monte S5620)

Postby Dopi » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:48 pm

FMAranda wrote:We believe that Monte has a hardware capable of run Android, we also have some tools and promising ideas.

What makes you beleive this? I don't want to be ruining your idea, but as far as I know the S5620 uses a Broadcom chipset (BCM215x). I have not yet heard of any Android port for that. If you should find a out that Android was made to run on this hardware it could of course work on the Monte, too.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby Daenja » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:23 pm

On my opinion it's definately not worth the hussle. 128MB of RAM is definately not enough for later android versions (2,1 -->)
Daenja
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby squidink14 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:58 pm

It could probably handle 1.5, but my friend has a Motorola DEXT and that cant handle 1.5 well with 256mb ram.
What processor does it have?
YouTube = youtube.com/squidink14
Website = squidink.netii.net
Video Tutorial = jetdroid.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22
squidink14
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby FMAranda » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 pm

It has a ARM11 300MHz, its chipset is the BCM2153. Like I said, it has the minimum requirement.
FMAranda
Freshman

Postby Dopi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:50 pm

FMAranda wrote:It has a ARM11 300MHz, its chipset is the BCM2153. Like I said, it has the minimum requirement.

Okay, ARM11 @ 300 MHu gives it at least a theoretical chance. Did you search if there is some Android / Linux port for BCM215x? Having to start a new Linux port for this CPU would be very hard work. For the Jet we had a well running Kernel as a start.

Cheers,
Dopi
Ad banners support the JetDroid forum. Please consider clicking them once in a while.
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby FMAranda » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Dopi wrote:Okay, ARM11 @ 300 MHu gives it at least a theoretical chance. Did you search if there is some Android / Linux port for BCM215x? Having to start a new Linux port for this CPU would be very hard work. For the Jet we had a well running Kernel as a start.

Cheers,
Dopi

Yes, look here http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/ this is a complete kernel with support for BCM2153, open the mach-bcmring folder. Also here you have some tools http://pel.hu/armu/.

This is a how-to compile a ARM kernel http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/docs/kerncomp.php

The user laszer25 posted on the other forum some pictures showing the bootimgs of Monte opened on IDE pro.

imgboot.jpg

bcmboot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FMAranda
Freshman

Postby Dopi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:42 am

FMAranda wrote:Yes, look here http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/ this is a complete kernel with support for BCM2153, open the mach-bcmring folder. Also here you have some tools http://pel.hu/armu/.

That is good news. I think this makes it much more likely to get Android to this phone. I will help wherever I can. Maybe we can have the discussion on how to patch the bootloader on this forum. I will create a section for MonteDroid (this makes it easier for me to stay up-to date and give you timely answers ;) )

Cheers
Dopi
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby FMAranda » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Dopi wrote:That is good news. I think this makes it much more likely to get Android to this phone. I will help wherever I can. Maybe we can have the discussion on how to patch the bootloader on this forum. I will create a section for MonteDroid (this makes it easier for me to stay up-to date and give you timely answers ;) )

Cheers
Dopi

Thanks, really, thanks, let me know when yo're ready and I'll help you.
FMAranda
Freshman

Postby Dopi » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:58 pm

FMAranda wrote:Thanks, really, thanks, let me know when yo're ready and I'll help you.

We should maybe first start with the bootloader. How far did your friend get that started disassembling it with IDA Pro?

Cheers,
Dopi
Dopi
Dev Team
Dev Team

Next

Return to MonteDroid