GPS

Discussions about the Samsung GT-S800x phone and it's hardware

Re: GPS

Postby KB_JetDroid » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:23 pm

joopykoopy wrote:Thijs, srry for my overdose reaction.

I don't live in a city, i live on the country. But why would the yet need 9 satelites to determine my position? :roll: 3 could be enough. get the 3 destination's from the satelite, mark them as circles on a map, and where they overlap, is were the GPS unit is. That couldn't be that hard for a 800MHz processor?

Is this the first time or after a long time you tried to activate the GPS? If yes then the GPS receiver would be in cold start mode and would require 5/10 minutes stationary for tracking to happen. If during cold start if you start moving before the satellites are locked, it might not be able to lock further.
Ideally 3 satellites are enough to locate. But it also depends on signal strength of each satellite and GPS receiver of Jet is not very strong. What is the signal strength shown by each of the satellite? If the signal strength for at least 3 satellites is more than 30 the Jet should be able to track your location within couple of minutes. Otherwise it will not track it at all.
If it is not able to track even after 3 or more satellites having signal strength more than 30 then something is weird with your handset.

And by the way locating from 3 satellites signal is not done by AP (800 MHz processor). It is done by the GPS receiver chip itself. The AP just reads the data given by GPS and displays (uses) it.

- KB
KB_JetDroid
Dev Team
Dev Team

Advertisement

Postby HenriA » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Hmm, i just walked today, and the GPS was working. I am thinking about buying a license for route66 or is there another great navigation out there for free (can't get wetravel to work...)
The jet will take-off to meet the android people! :)
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby saturnfreeway » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Don't know much about it, but try updating/downloading your GPS+ settings through the GPS+ menu, that helps to speed things up.

You should be able to get WeTravel to work, editing the manifest file with

MIDlet-Scaleup-Support: False
LGE-MIDlet-Width: 480
LGE-MIDlet-Height: 800

gives you a nice fullscreen version as well

cheers
saturnfreeway

Postby HenriA » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:37 pm

thnx, well, that GPS+ thing had i found out. The counter counts down, when it reaches 0, need i to update to use GPS again, or can i just use GPS without updating?
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby saturnfreeway » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm

In my experience I don't get it to work when the counter is down to 0, so the best thing is to regularly update it through wifi or 3G, I guess. Or think about it before you leave the house when you don't use a 3G connection. When you forget, it may have to make a cold start with 10 minutes waiting time, like described earlier. Although that never worked in my case. Updating is the best thing you can do.

Hope this helps
saturnfreeway

Postby HenriA » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 pm

hmm, to bad, i aint gonna use something that i have to think of befor using, cuz if i would need it suddenly, then i can't use it, stupid samsung...
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Daenja » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 am

When we get GPS in android working you can find several good GPS applications from market ;)
Daenja
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby MadRocker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 pm

I found that the gps in samsung is not very good so route66 = :cry:

The route66 only thing that works okay is the main menu -> show -> GPS info and then 3rd page 1234567 page.
This will show sometimes red satellite strength info = no real location info for route66 but when they go green then you get your location even if driving it is fairly accurate. Go 1 or 2 pages back to compass screen or compass + red / green dots = satellite in relation to where you are. I just use this 1st compass page.

As for normal route66 map well mmmhhh......

Google maps is much faster even with no wifi / no Internet access once it has the map of where you are + satellite view then it is very close to pinpoint you when driving, think it uses cell tower info not sure.

Yup wait for android gps free and it works fast.
MadRocker
Dev Team
Dev Team

Postby HenriA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:33 pm

does the jet support map caching for gmaps? :O

i didn't know that, :D
HenriA
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby modyz_2006 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:41 pm

i have a similar problem except for the no. of satellites
i have the number of satellites=0
and the three fields of my location are zeros also
although my brother's phone x8 detect the exact location of where i am :S
my phone is s8003 with fw JPIH1
what should i do??
modyz_2006